Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Spaghetti & Meatballs


I always grew up in a household where spaghetti was a weekly meal. No matter what. My mom always made it wonderfully and with ground beef it in too. I have become lazy over time and just make sauce and noodles. This time I wanted to spice things up a bit. Meatballs seemed to do just that.

I have never made meatballs so I was looking for an easy weeknight recipe. I was browsing some of my favorite blogs and came across this recipe on Lindsey's Kitchen. I thought I would give it a go and I must say that my first try at meatballs was a fantastic success!! I don't think I would change a thing in this recipe except the timing of how long to cook the meatballs. I might make them in the sauce next time because they browned too much and stuck a little to the pan. They still tasted fantastic and heard NO COMPLAINTS from the husband .. which is rare as we have very different food tastes!

Spaghetti & Meatballs

1 lb ground beef
1 egg
1 tsp dried parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup bread crumbs, divided (I used Italian)
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
1/4 cup milk
dash salt (optional
1/4 tsp garlic powder

1.5-2 jars spaghetti sauce
1 package spaghetti noodles

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine 1/4 cup bread crumbs with milk and let sit for 8-10 minutes. Combine with all remaining ingredients and shape into desired sized balls. Cook for 30 minutes and then add to the sauce. If you want to cook them the whole way in the oven, turn them over and cook an additional 10-15 minutes longer depending on the size. I would highly recommend adding to the sauce though.

NOTE: I put on the ingredient list 1.5-2 jars spaghetti sauce because this recipe makes so many meatballs that there is no sauce left for the spaghetti. It is best for a large group. If you are just making for two people and don't want too many leftovers, I would suggest cutting the recipe in half.

No comments:

Post a Comment