Thursday, December 31, 2009

Blackberry Cobbler


Oh yeah! Come to mama! I saw this recipe online and just had to make it. The pictures on the other website are pretty appetizing. PW, you make my every dessert dreams come true!

I think this is probably the first recipe on here I have incorporated salt as an ingredient as I hate to use it unless I really really have to. I know a lot of people use it religiously, especially if a recipe calls for it, but I usually omit. It's the health nut side of me I guess.

After bringing this to my family Christmas, I had zero leftovers. Everyone absolutely devoured and loved it. I got all kinds of compliments and never again will I be allowed to bring anything to a family Christmas but dessert. I won't complain; it's my favorite thing to make.


Serve with vanilla ice cream for best results.

Blackberry Cobbler
Adapted from: Tasty Kitchen

6 cups blackberries
1/2 cup PLUS 4 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice (from 1 fresh lemon)
1/2 whole zest of lemon (from fresh lemon)
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
4 tbsp butter
1 egg
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine blackberries, 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest in large bowl. Spread mixture into a 9x9 (or similar size) pyrex dish and flatten with a spoon.

In a separate bowl pour in flour, salt, baking powder, and 1 tbsp sugar. Add shortening and butter and mix well with a pastry blender until mixture is coarse. Measure 1/2 cup milk in large measuring cup, add 1 egg and mix well. Pour into flour mixture, stirring as you go. The final product should not be too dry or too sticky. If too dry, add a little more milk.

Take small clumps of dough and place on top of blackberries until covered. Lightly flatten dough with fingertips and sprinkle with remaining 3 tbsp of sugar. Bake until golden brown, approximately 30 minutes. Berry juice will be slightly thin but allowing it to sit will give it time to soak up into the cobbler topping.

Serve with vanilla ice cream. Don't skip this last step!

No comments:

Post a Comment