Friday, December 11, 2009

Lasagna


Why Italian food is such a staple in my household, I will never know. Neither of us are Italian. I think we are just carb-lovers. Me having a degree in Exercise Science, I should know better. I say that because my husband won't let me substitute white for wheat noodles hardly ever. He is slowly coming around though. There is always that saying, "Do as I say, not as I do." That might just become a staple in our household too as we have kids .. just kidding!

My mom always made the best lasagna on the block. I never tried it until I was an adult. Why? I have no idea, but it's so delicious! It's a recipe from her mother's mother and so on. This one is another one of my family recipe's so please let me know how it turns out for you. I absolutely love this recipe although I do tweak it a bit as I am only cooking for two and not a big family yet. I made this a few weeks ago for my husband's friends (and groomsmen from the wedding) as they were all in town. I also had side salad and garlic bread too. They all went home and I'm sure I have now raised the bar for their wives now. I swear that wasn't my intention! I just like to feed people!!

When you make this, know that the ricotta cheese comes out in chunks but if you take the time to do so, you can spread it; it is possible. This past time I was lazy and hungry so I just did it in a rush and piled it on in chunks. Brad didn't like them so much and maybe next time I will use less. Also I have tried to leave the pasta whole or break it in half. I prefer to break it in half. It is more manageable that way. A few tips from classic mistakes I have made: put the lasagna noodles on the bottom of the dish or you will have a MESS. Also, top with the cheese covering. If you have exposed noodles, they will harden in the oven. Nobody likes crunchy lasagna.

Lasagana

1 pound ground beef
1 can tomatoes
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
1/3 cup water
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp oregano
1/4 lb lasagna noodles, cooked
8 ounces mozzarella cheese
1/2 tub racotta cheese
parmesan cheese

Brown meat in large skillet. Add onion and cook until tender (about 4-5 minutes). Stir in tomatoes, paste, water, garlic and seasonings. Cover and simmer on low 25 minutes. In a 12x8 greased baking dish, layer the lasagna in this order: noodles, meat sauce, racotta cheese, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

This recipe makes two layers. Double it for a deep-dish three layered lasagna for a large party!

No comments:

Post a Comment