Thursday, December 17, 2009

Chicken Tortilla Soup


I got this recipe from a friend at work. The first time I tried it, I was completely amazed and thought that it had to be too complicated for me to re-make. Absolutely not! This is probably one of the easiest and most rewarding recipes in the recipe box. It never seems to taste differently when reheated for leftovers. I don't think I can say that about any other recipe.

I'm sure that this can somehow be made into a crock pot recipe as well since it simmers, but it's so quick that I usually do have time at the end of a long work day to make this. I like the recipes that I can just open cans, throw things in a pot and voila .. dinner! The only thing that I changed from the original recipe is that I mix in a little lemon juice with my lime juice to make it less tangy and give it some sweetness too. The original was just all lime juice.

Also note that the worst part about this recipe is shredding the chicken. It isn't too time consuming but is annoying and repetitive. Trust me, it is worth it in the end.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 lb boneless chx brst
1 can beans, undrained
1 can mexi-style stewed tomatoes, garlic, cumin, jalepenos
1 can fat-free chx broth
3 cans chopped green chiles, undrained
¼ cup lime juice & lemon juice combined (75% lime, 25% lemon)
2 tsp minced garlic
¾ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp dried oregano
Toppings (as needed): sour cream & shredded cheese

Combine all ingredients in large pot on stove and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked. Remove chicken from pot with tongs and shred with a fork. Return to pot, stir well and allow to simmer and warm up again. Serve with cheese and sour cream as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment