Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Buckeyes



Buckeyes have been a family tradition of mine for as long as I can remember. Every single gathering, there were buckeyes. My mom's side of the family is from Ohio of course, so it had to be known. By the way that does make me an Ohio State fan, but don't worry my husband is anti-OSU and reminds me every Saturday in the fall.

Anyways these are a recipe I have perfected over and over so the recipe is flawless exept one thing: making the batter. Making the batter, because it is so thick, is a chore and a half. You have got to have good upper body strength for it. This stuff is thick and it really needs to be. The batch makes a lot because these little guys are small, but mighty. Yes, kinda like the football team. Oh, Jim Tressel .. you are our man!

You know I couldn't get away with writing a blog update about Buckeyes without mentioning the great Jim Tressel!

Buckeyes
Kelly's Kitch original

1 lb butter
3 tbsp vanilla
2 cups peanut butter (smooth)
3 cups powdered sugar
12 oz pkg chocolate chips
paraffin, quarter sized piece (optional)

Cream together butter, vanilla and peanut butter. Mix in powdered sugar a little at a time until mixture is firm and manageable. Roll into quarter-sized balls and place on cookie sheet and into the fridge or freezer to harden. After 1-2 hours, dip balls with toothpick in the middle into melted chocolate chips (and optional paraffin). Leave a small amount of peanut butter still showing at the top to imitate a real buckeye, as shown above.

Place back onto cookie sheet and remove toothpick. Place cookie sheet in fridge for another 30 minutes to harden. I usually leave them in overnight, however.

2 comments:

  1. Why are they called buckeyes? We were talking about this the other day. I live in Michigan and we still call them that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I'm sorry I mentioned that I am an OSU fan .. please don't stop reading my blog. ;) Hehe. I have seen some people actually call them "peanut butter balls" but I don't know why. They look JUST like the buckeye nut.

    ReplyDelete