Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Homemade Applesauce


I scoured the internet and some of my favorite blogs for an applesauce recipe that I could do in the crock pot, but there were none that I could find. Luckily I felt confident enough to make my own recipe based off of the recipes I did find. All the recipes used cinnamon and I knew I wanted that in it. A lot of them also used extra water to allow for a certain consistency. Some of the recipes called for cloves but I omitted just to keep this recipe simple and easy.

The hardest part of this recipe (and most time-consuming) is peeling, coring and chopping up the apples. I actually used a Pampered Chef Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer so that made the process a hundred times easier. I'm not trying to sell the product but I almost chopped the apples by hand because so many people had negative reviews on the product. I have heard that it doesn't work well unless the apples are rock hard, or that it doesn't work well if the apples aren't perfectly round. Despite all the negativity surrounding the product, I still hadn't used it before so I didn't want to misjudge it. Trust me when I say that the size, shape or consistency of the apple DO NOT MATTER! I absolutely loved the product and although at times it can be a little monotonous, it really helped with this recipe (and I will now use it for when I make my Apple Pie).

Homemade Applesauce
Kelly's Kitch Original
Yields: 4 cups

6 large Braeburn (or sweet) apples, peeled, cored and diced
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
3/4 tsp cinnamon

Mix all ingredients in a crock pot on low for at least 5 hours. Place contents in a blender or food processor and mix, pulsing until desired consistency. I chose to pulse mine briefly so it's a little smooth and a little chunky, too. Serve warm or cold as a snack or dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment