Friday, July 9, 2010

Classic Apple Pie


Apple Pie and Independence Day go together like .. Santa Clause and Christmas! This is the first completely homemade pie I have ever made! I absolutely loved it and my husband's friends were in shock I think, since they don't eat anything that can't be nuked. (Side note: they all work for Whirlpool so they get all kinds of Kitchen Aid gadgets on a weekly basis but don't use them. Don't cry about this like I did. Haha). At any rate, this was a huge success. I did make the homemade crust and that recipe will be posted later this week. For now, I will re-highlight my mother's (and grandmother's) amazing Apple Pie!

Classic Apple Pie
Adapted from: Kelly's Kitch original

3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
7 medium to large apples (I used 3 granny smith and 4 fuji), peeled and sliced
3 tbsp butter or margarine
3 tsp lime juice (or lemon juice is a great substitute)
2 nine-inch pie crusts

Stir together sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg in large bowl. Mix in apples until mixture is paste-like.

Add mixture into greased pie pan lined with one pie crust. Cover with the second pie crust and fold edges over and make into zig-zag (crust) pattern. Cut 6-8 slits in the top of the pie crust about an inch long. Sprinkle crust with cinnamon.

Cover edges of crust with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 425 degrees (conventional). Remove foil and bake another 15-20 minutes until crust is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment