Thursday, September 16, 2010

Texas Barbecued Chicken


I love chicken. I've never really admitted this, but I only really like the boneless, skinless chicken breasts. They are just so much easier to work with and I feel like you get more meat out of it; there are just too many fatty parts of a chicken leg. Against my better judgement I decided to tackle the bone-in chicken for once. I knew I couldn't fry it. One, I don't have the patience for that, and two, I've attempted it so many times I know when to admit defeat. Well grilling is much easier, but still takes a very long time. The recipe said to grill them for 20 minutes but we cooked them for about 35 minutes and they still weren't totally done. Unfortunately for us, the gas went out on the grill right at that time so that's what we had to work with. I think this would be a great recipe for wings, though. The sauce is AMAZING!

Texas Barbecued Chicken

3 cups tomato sauce (marinara sauce)
3 Tbsp firmly packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp ginger, grated
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 whole chicken legs (2 lbs total), split and skinned

Preheat the grill to medium heat. When ready to cook, spray the rack off the grill with cooking spray to prevent sticking.

In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce, brown sugar, ginger, red wine vinegar, and garlic. You can use 1.5 cups of the mixture to make a side of beans with (recipe here). The rest is used for coating the chicken.

Grill the chicken, covered, turning occasionally and basting with the remaining tomato sauce. Continue to cook for 15-20 minutes on medium heat and then turn the heat up to medium-high for another 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked thoroughly.

Note: You can also make sure that your grilled chicken is always done inside by cooking them prior to grilling in a crockpot or boiling on the stove. Be sure to not over-cook them though. You will want to cook 3/4 of the way and then grill the rest. This significantly cuts down on grilling time (and I always do it for my ribs).

No comments:

Post a Comment