Monday, May 17, 2010

Homemade Taco Seasoning


I am the kind of person that will cut corners when I can, but the other night I had no choice; I was out of taco seasning. Thankfully, I saw this recipe on another blog and thought it would be interesting to see if it tasted similar to the pre-packaged taco seasonings. Let me just say that I would rather stock up on all these seasonings than spend $1 on a taco seasoning packet!!! This recipe is really worth taking a few extra minutes to make. I actually cut the recipe in half because I didn't want to use up so much of my spices if I didn't like it. Next time I know I will make a big batch so I have extra for a random taco night. Also we normally get the "hot" packets so I might add more cayenne or maybe some chili seasoning to it. Since I know you are dying to ask, yes I did try the mixed seasoning by itself before putting in my recipe. It tasted excellent and much better (less salty) than the packets in the store!!

Homemade Taco Seasoning
Adapted from: Annie's Eats, originally Mex Recipes

2 tbsp chili powder
1.5 tbsp plus 1/2 tsp paprika
1.5 tbsp ground cumin
1/2 tbsp plus 1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (we like ours a little hot)

Mix all seasonings in a bowl and store in airtight container. For seasoning, use 2-2.5tbsp of mixture per 1 lb ground beef. Brown ground beef in pan, drain, return to pan and mix with seasoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment