Friday, July 23, 2010

Teriaki Burgers with Mango Strawberry Salsa


The most appetizing thing I can think of is a hamburger. The second is fruit. Why have I never thought to combine the two? I have no idea, but this was phenomenal. I have never in my entire life of loving hamburgers not needed to slather on the mayo! The sauce and salsa both combined provided a fantastic taste that I just couldn't add anything to. The sauce was a little heavy on the soy so I decided to half it for next time, which is reflected below. It wasn't too overpowering that I couldn't eat the burger, though. I also replaced pineapple with strawberries because my pineapple I had cut earlier in the week was brown and all I had were strawberries. I think next time I might try the pineapple version just to see how differently it tastes.

Teriaka Burgers with Mango Strawberry Salsa
Adapted from: Annie's Eats, originally White on Rice Couple

For the salsa
1 mango, diced
1 cup strawberries, diced (or pineapple)
1/2 red pepper, diced
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1 tbsp cilantro
lime juice of one lime
pinch of salt

For the sauce
1 cup strawberries, diced (or pineapple)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp ginger powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp vinegar (white, apple)
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp cold water

For the burgers
2 tbsp onion, finely minced
1 tsp garlic clove, minced
salt and pepper, to taste
dash of Worcestershire sauce
1 lb ground beef

First, make the salsa by combining all ingredients in a small bowl and tossing to combine. Cover with saran wrap and refridgerate until needed for topping.

Next, make the sauce by combining all ingredients except cornstarch and water. Mix well and place in a small saucepan on the stove on medium heat. Heat until slightly bubbly. Meanwhile, combine cornstarch and water in small bowl until smooth. Once the mixture on the stove is bubbly, add cornstarch mixture and stir in completely. Heat on medium-low for another 3 or so minutes, until thickened.

Finally combine all ingredients for the burger and form into desired shaped patties. Note: I always make my patties thicker and a larger diameter because it's inevitable what level of heat I have it on, they will always shrink a little. Cook burgers on the grill at desired temperature until done. Place burgers on hamburger buns and top with sauce mixture, then salsa and enjoy as-is!

No comments:

Post a Comment