Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Summer Chicken Salad


I have been inspired in the past to try and make restaurant food at home. Usually I am unsuccessful because I'm not the type of food guru it takes to figure out what ingredients are in something just by tasting it. Well this was one huge exception. I get this salad every single time that I go to Paradise Bakery & Cafe because it's so delicious. There, it comes with strawberry vinaigrette but at home we have balsamic. Both are amazing with this salad!! This salad has everything .. even chicken (although you can't see it in the picture). It was even fun to make because I set up a little station almost like taco night to put the fruit toppings on.


Summer Chicken Salad
Adapted from: Kelly's Kitch original

1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
3 cups salad/lettuce mix (I chose spring mix)
3 tbsp raisins
3 tbsp strawberries, chopped
3 tbsp blueberries
3 tbsp pineapple, diced
3 tbsp raisins
2 tbsp pecans, chopped
olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil in a small glass baking dish. Place the chicken breast in the oil and flip to cover. Then, sprinkle salt and pepper to desired taste and bake for 15 minutes. Since my chicken breast was quite thick and I wanted to bake it faster, I simply placed it loosely in saran wrap and beat it with a meat tenderizer until it was the desired thickness. You can also buy thin chicken breasts if you desire.


Once the chicken has cooked, place on a plate or cutting board and slice into 1-inch cubes, set aside.

Place half of the lettuce in a serving bowl and top with chicken. Then place 1.5 tbsp of strawberries, blueberries, raisins and pineapple. Place 1 tbsp of chopped pecans on top. You may drizzle desired dressing on top or place in small bowl on the side. This really helps to save TONS of unnecessary calories. I highly recommend: strawberry vinaigrette or balsamic vinaigrette dressings.

Yields: 2 salads

No comments:

Post a Comment