Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sesame Hamburger Buns


Hamburger buns. Only $1.00 at the local super market. Do they stand up to these buns (haha no pun intended) at all? Absolutely not!! These hamburger buns are the absolute best that I have ever made. They were definitely a trial run but so much worth it. My husband even commented, "Now if we could just figure out how to make these into hot dog buns.." Oh honey, that already crossed my mind!

One of the things I will do differently is allow the buns to rise longer on the second rise. When I put the egg mixture on top (to coat with sesame seeds), the buns went a little flat. Also I think I will not try to cook them with the pan of water. That actually steamed up our entire house and I am very surprised our fire alarms didn't go off. We had to open lots of windows..

Sesame Hamburger Buns
Adapted from: Annie's Eats, originally The New York Times

3 tbsp warm milk
1 cup warm water
1 package instant yeast (about 2 tsp)
2.5 tsp sugar
dash salt
1 egg
3 cups bread flour*
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2.5 tbsp butter, softened

For topping:
1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp water
sesame seeds

In stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix milk, water, yeast, sugar, salt and egg together. Mix only briefly to combine all ingredients. Add in flours and mix well. Switching the paddle attachment out for the dough hook, add in butter and mix well. Knead with dough hook for 6-8 minutes. The dough will be a bit sticky.

Transfer dough to lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Keep in warm area (I placed mine on a window sill in the sun) and allow to rise until doubled for about 1-2 hours.

Divide dough into 8 equal parts. Roll gently and place onto well-greased cookie sheet about 2-3 inches apart. If you have a silpat, this would work, too. Cover pans very loosely with greased plastic wrap and allow to rise for 1-2 more hours.

Once buns have doubled in size, baste with butter topping mixture and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Bake in oven on middle shelf at 380 degrees for 6 minutes, flip, and cook an additional 6-8 minutes. Buns should be golden brown. Place buns on cooling racks and slice once cool enough to handle.

* I had no idea what "bread flour" was but apparently it's right next to the all-purpose flour you can purchase at your local supermarket. I love how much I learn with each new recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment