Saturday, March 20, 2010

Sweet and Sour Chicken


This was another dish I have to give my husband credit for making. I didn't feel well this past week so I asked him to cook for me. Who knew he could find something so satisfying and amazingly delicious!? This was a very easy, quick weeknight dinner. I really wasn't sure how this would all come together in 30 minutes or less but it really did and I was actually craving more when my plate was clear! This dish also looked surprisingly like something you would order at a restaurant. That is not something we can often make in our household.

Sweet and Sour Chicken

white rice (as desired)
1 can pineapple chunks (8 oz)
1/2 cup sweet and sour sauce
12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1-inch pieces)
1 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp cooking oil
1 medium red pepper, sliced
1 medium carrot, thinly sliced

Make white rice per box instructions. Meanwhile, drain pineapple, reserving 2 tbsp juice and set chunks aside. In small bowl, stir together pineapple juice and sweet and sour sauce and set aside. In medium bowl, toss chicken with soy sauce and set aside.

In medium skillet, heat 3 tbsp oil on medium-high heat. Add peppers and carrots and cook for 4 minutes until vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove from skillet and set aside. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil to skillet and using a slotted spoon, add chicken to pan. Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Add sweet and sour mixture, vegetables and pineapple chunks. Heat thoroughly and serve over white rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment