Sunday, March 7, 2010

Spinach and Sausage Stuffed Shells


Sometimes I wish I had excellent photography skills. This is one of those times. My picture does absolutely nothing for this fantastic recipe. This is surely a household favorite now! The original recipe was only stuffed spinach shells but I now know better from when I attempted to feed my husband spinach lasagna. If there is no meat, he won't eat it. End of story. So I decided to add some spicy Italian Sausage and my oh my was it a wonderful addition! It was also wonderful that I got to use my new 5 quart casserole dish that I haven't been able to yet. I was so excited it could have been a complete flop and I wouldn't have cared since I got to use my new dish. Since it was a complete success it made it just that much more worth it!


Spinach and Sausage Stuffed Shells

1 lb Italian Sausage (I used Hot)
20-25 dried jumbo shell macaroni
3/4 lb package frozen spinach, thawed (about 7 oz)
2 eggs, beaten
8 oz shredded cheese (I used mexican blend)
1-1.5 cup ricotta cheese
26-28 oz pasta/marinara sauce

Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and rinse with cold water. Drain again and set aside. Meanwhile cook the Italian Sausage in a medium skillet over medium heat crumbling as it cooks until completely browned. Once browned, place into a large mixing bowl with drained spinach 1.5 cups of cheese, ricotta and eggs. Spoon about 2-3 tbsp (or enough to fill pasta) into shells and place into large baking dish. I used a 5 quart and completely filled it up.

Then pour the marinara sauce over the shells. Bake, covered at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until heated through. Sprink with remaining shredded cheese before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment