Thursday, March 11, 2010

French-Style Potato Salad


When I think of traditional potato salad I have to admit that I begin to salivate a little and think of my mom's wonderful version with russet potatoes, mayonnaise, mustard, etc. It makes me think of summer and I really yearn for that sunny warmth right now. We are just itching for a reason to grill outside right now! Well if you are like me and winter weather has got you down, here is something to cheer you up!

This is a very light, cholesterol-free, high-fiber version of potato salad. Now per the usual I always try to make new things I haven't tried before to see what my husband will and will not eat. I made these as a side dish and found out that my husband usually doesn't like red potatoes. OKAY .. hold the phones .. who doesn't like red potatoes!?!? I couldn't believe my ears! Well he loved these so thank goodness for this recipe. I loved that these weren't so heavy with all the mayo and mustard either. My cholesterol doesn't need any help going in the wrong direction.

French-Style Russet Potato Salad

2lb small, round red-skinned potatoes
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp dijon mustard
kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
1/4 cup cervil leaves, chopped (I substituted Parsley)

Place the potatoes in large saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife (about 15-20 minutes). Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, mustard, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper to taste until blended well.

When potatoes are ready, drain them and allow to cool. Once cooled enough to handle, quarter them and add them to the dressing. Add celery and chervil (or parsley) tossing gently to combine. Serve salad warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment