Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Homemade Caramel Apples


I tried
this caramel at-home recipe. I used the caramel candies against my better judgement only because I couldn't justify purchasing a candy thermometer to use once a year. Silly.
Tip #1: Rinse the apples after sticking them with the skewers under hot running water and dry thoroughly. The website didn't mention anything about that but I read on almost all other websites that it helps to get rid of the waxy film.

Tip #2: Use big plates for toppings. It gets pretty messy!

Tip #3: It says to let the caramel drip off the apples and then hold them upright to even it out. DO THIS FOR A LONG TIME! I did it for ohhh say 5 seconds each way and I ran out of caramel and the caramel on the first few apples I did ended up falling off anyways on the parchment paper. But they still look and taste delicious!!

Homemade Caramel Apples:

700 g. (24 oz.) caramels, unwrapped
4 tbsp. whole milk
10-12 medium-sized apples
sticks inserted in tops

1. Melt caramels and milk in double boiler or in microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments (stirring in between) until melted and smooth.
2. Dip apples in caramel at an angle and roll to get a nice, smooth coating.
3. Hold apples upside down until the caramel stops dripping. Flip upside down and hold until caramel is evenly coated.
4. Roll apple in desired toppings.
5. Place on wax paper and place in fridge to harden caramel.

No comments:

Post a Comment