Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Chicken Parmigiana


I tried this recipe from a cookbook I got as a wedding gift. I am always trying to test new recipes and seeing what I can find. This one caught my eye because I thought it was a baked chicken recipe. Nope. Stovetop. Either way it was pretty easy and quick. It was also a little spicy which my husband really enjoys! He calls himself a chili-head.

The chicken I used was pretty thick so I had to cook it much longer than the recipe called for but it still turned out fantastic. I also got home late and we were both starving so I didn't allow time for the cheese to melt when I took the picture. The recipe called for Parmesan cheese but I used what we had, since we had a ton of it. Definitely a must-make recipe!!

Chicken Parmigiana

1/3 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp butter
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 tsp sugar
dash salt & pepper
1/8 cup basil
4 small skinless, boneless chicken breasts (the thinner ones work best)
1/3 cup seasoned fine dry bread crumbs
4 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp milk
3 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

For sauce

In medium saucepan, cook onion and garlic in hot butter over medium heat until tender. Stir in sugar, salt, pepper and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered about 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in basil and set aside.

For Chicken

Dip chicken in bow with egg and milk mixture. Then, dip it into another bowl with 3 tbsp parmesan cheese, oregano and bread crumbs. Place in a large skillet in hot oil over medium heat. Cook on each side for 3-5 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Transfer chicken to serving dish and cover with sauce mixture and remaining 1 tbsp parmesan cheese. Let stand until cheese melts.

No comments:

Post a Comment