Sunday, September 5, 2010

Old-Fashioned Coleslaw


Travel Note: My husband and I will be on a cruise this week celebrating our one year anniversary. Today we will be enjoying Half Moon Cay, Bahamas.

It's almost that time of year again .. Fall. I have yet to meet someone who doesn't like fall. My husband only likes it because of the food and the weather; otherwise he hates that the next season is his least favorite: winter. Let's not rush that one, though. Fall reminds me of gourds, pumpkins and more fun flavors. One that I have yet to try (and that I have protested all my life) is coleslaw. I never eat it when it comes on the side at a restaurant. I never have made it before. Although this recipe needed some tweaking (I used a LOT less mustard), it was a pretty good start to a classic dish. I am trying to eat healthier now and vegetables are one category that I like to not veer from my "norms". This was one recipe I'm sure glad I didn't pass up.

Old-Fashioned Coleslaw

3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
2 Tbsp reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
1/2 Tbsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 head cabbage, shredded
2-3 carrots, shredded

In a large bowl combine all ingredients except cabbage and carrots. Mix well. Add cabbage and carrots and toss to combine evenly. Cover and refrigerate before serving. Best if eaten same day for crisp cabbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment