Friday, December 31, 2010

Two Bean Turkey Chili


My pictures sure could use some dSlr help. If you want to see a more appetizing photo, click the link below for the original recipe. That picture is what got my attention. Plus I was needing a new crock pot recipe as all of mine have been done over and over again. Even though I had to cook 2 pounds of ground turkey at 6:30 in the morning before leaving for work (GAG!), it was worth the wait at the end of the day. I thought the chili would be dry or bland but it was nothing of the sort. It was actually very delicious and we ate the rest for leftovers. I would probably use a little less juices next time (maybe drain some of the cans) and cut the recipe down. We had 5 servings and I ended up throwing a good portion down the drain afterwards. It just makes way too much, even for leftovers, with only two people in this house. I've reflected a few of the changes below. I also had to rename it since next time I will only use two types of beans. ;)

Two Bean Turkey Chili
Adapted from: Smells Like Home, originally Gina's WW Recipes
Yields: 8-10 servings

1 ½ lb ground turkey
½ small onion, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes (28 oz)
1 can tomato sauce (16 oz)
1 can chopped chilies, drained (4.5 oz)
1 can chickpeas, drained (15 oz)
1 can black beans, drained (15 oz)
2-4 tbsp chili powder, depending on preference
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp Kosher salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper

In a skillet on medium heat, cook the ground turkey until cooked thoroughly. Drain and place in the crockpot with all other ingredients. Mix well and cook in crock pot on medium to low for 6-8 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment