Friday, December 17, 2010

Stove Top Mac N Cheese


Mac and cheese is always a welcomed guest in my home. I like to dress it up, keep it basic and even throw in some meat once in a while. That is exactly what I did with this recipe. It’s a great side dish as-is, but I wanted to just have it for dinner. Since my husband won’t eat anything without meat, I thought ham chunks would go over well; and they sure did! He didn’t complain or even suggest (as he has in the past) about this not being “a real main dish.” As a side dish, however, this would be fantastic for a weeknight dinner or even something easy for New Years.

Stove Top Mac & Cheese
Adapted from: Homemade by Holman, originally Food Network
Serves: 6-8

14 oz pasta shapes (I used rotini)
3 Tbsp butter
2 eggs
9 oz evaporated milk
½ tsp hot sauce
½ tsp mustard
½ tsp dried thyme
2 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
salt and pepper, to taste

Cook the noodles according to package directions. Cook to al dente and drain. Reduce heat to medium-low and return the pot to the stove. Add butter and melt with pasta. Whisk together eggs, milk, hot sauce, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper and pour mixture over top of pasta. Stir and cook about one minute. Add cheese and stir constantly to melt and incorporate well. Cook an additional 2 minutes and add more salt or pepper later if needed. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment