Saturday, January 23, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie


Who doesn't love warm pie for dinner? This is the very first pot pie I have ever made. I have tasted some before but they almost always have peas in them. Anything with peas in it (even just one) makes me cringe. It must be their soft texture. It took me a very long time to warm up to beans for that very same reason. Instead of peas I used corn and loved the texture it had.

My husband didn't tell me before I made this that he doesn't like pot pies either. I was really asking for it making something neither of us have ever liked before. I think with age comes culinary maturity and taste, however. To quote my husband as he devoured his first and second pieces within minutes, "I don't like pot pie but this was great!" I call that a sweet victory.

Chicken Pot Pie
Adapted from: All-Recipes

1 lb boneless, skiness chicken brests (cubed)
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
1/2 cup sliced celery
2 tbsp butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 tsp celery seed
1 3/4 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 unbaked pie crusts

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a stock pot, combine chicken, carrots, corn, celery and add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. About halfway through, heat medium sauce pan over medium heat cooking onions and butter until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Then slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thickened, about 8 minutes.

NOTE: You may pre-heat the bottom pie crust (as suggested on the all-recipes site) but it shrunk the crust so I wouldn't suggest it.

Unfold one pie crust into greased pie pan and place chicken mixture in. Then, pour liquid mixture on top making sure nothing overflows. Place second crust on top, flat, and cut off excess dough from edge of pan. Then, fold top and bottom crusts together and into a zig-zag pattern. Cut slits on top crust for ventilation and bake for 25-30 minutes, until crust is golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. I have a new addiction to pot pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too thanks to this! I love dessert pies too. Just can't go wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete