Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Cheesy Garlic Bread


I feel sorry for my husband. He has had to endure my sad excuse for garlic bread these past few years. I have always wanted a fantastic, but easy garlic bread recipe to make on the side for my pasta dishes. I absolutely love this recipe because it uses ingredients that I keep in my fridge at all times.

I did use too much cheese the first time I baked some. I can tend to go overboard since I do love my cheese. Lesson learned: too much cheese is really too much for this recipe. Just a thin top layer will do. This is so easy (yeah .. I can't say that enough) and it is really inexpensive to make. The amount of cheese called for in this recipe is really too much for my taste so I would really halve it and that would be enough for probably two gigantic loaves of french bread. After two loaves I had lots leftover and had to throw extra chese mixture out. It made me (and my dog) quite sad.

Cheesy Garlic Bread
Adapted from: Pioneer Woman

3 cups grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
4 green onions, chopped
salt, dash
1 loaf french bread
1 stick butter
4 cloves garlic, minced

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix cheeses with mayo and green onions. Add the salt to taste and keep in fridge until needed.

Cut bread loaf in half then lengthwise. In a skillet melt 1/4 stick butter at a time with 1 clove garlic. Place one piece of the loaves face down in the skillet, removing garlic if it browns.

Repeat with remaining butter, garlic and loaves.

Place bread flat side up on baking sheet and spread cheese mixture in thin layer on top. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, or until cheese is hot and bubbly. Slice and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment