Friday, January 15, 2010

Brazilian Shrimp Soup



This week has been unneccessarily cold here in the midwest. That means it's soup time! I really like thick, tomato based soups that have a sweet kick to them. I was drawn to this soup since it had a little of everything. I had purchased quite a bit of shrimp this week so it seemed like the perfect recipe.

Now, I have never been the seafood fan. I never really liked any of it as a kid growing up. While in my teen years I started developing a taste for crustations, but still didn't like fish itself. Now I can eat certain kinds of fish and most all crustations. I guess it comes with age (or wisdom) for me. This soup wasn't all I thought it would be so I think next time I will tweak it a little. Like I said, I'm not the biggest seafood fan so maybe a little less shrimp and more veggies next time.



Brazilian Shrimp Soup
Adapted from: Annie's Eats, originally from Food and Wine

2 tbsp canola oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup long-grain rice
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
dash salt (to taste)
1 3/4 can crushed tomatoes
5 cups water
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (in asian food isle, canned)
1.5 lb shrimp, deveined, cut in thirds
black pepper (to taste)
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tbsp lime juice

Heat canola oil in large stock pot on medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and cook about 7 minutes or until veggies are tender. Add rice, red pepper flakes, salt, tomatoes and water to pot. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook 10 minutes until rice is tender.

Stir in coconut milk and return to a simmer. Add the shrimp and simmer additional 3-5 minutes to cook shrimp (if not precooked). Stir in pepper, lemon and lime juice. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment