Monday, December 5, 2011

Baby food - Steel cut oatmeal


It's that time. Puree time. Messy floors, fingers and faces. Who knew time would fly so quickly?! I'm thoroughly enjoying motherhood (as you can tell since I've almost abandoned this blog, sorry). This was the first puree food my son had that wasn't rice cereal. Once we start introducing fruits, not until next year, I will start adding more flavors in the form of puree fruits, too!

I didn't grind up the steel cut oats before making this recipe so I had to puree them quite a bit when I was done cooking them. My son is just starting to eat puree foods so it was a bit too chunky of a texture for him, but a friend told me to simply grind up the oats in a coffee grinder until they are a powder. Hopefully when I do that next time, it will take less time to make.

Baby food - Steel cut oatmeal
Adapted from: Kelly's Kitch original
Yields: 3/4-1 cup oatmeal

1/4 cup steel cut oats, ground into a powder
1 cup water

Boil water stove top in a small saucepan and add the ground oats, whisking constantly. Reduce heat and simmer until softened, about 15-20 minutes, whisking occasionally. Add water and puree as needed for your baby's texture preferences. Be sure to test the temperature of the oatmeal before serving to your baby! When making stove top, I had to place it in the fridge for 20 minutes+ before it cooled enough.

If you want to make this in bigger batches, feel free to do so and you can simply freeze in ice cube trays and when frozen, dump into a labeled freezer bag. This way, the food is in perfectly sized portions for your little one and nothing goes to waste!

No comments:

Post a Comment