Friday, December 30, 2011

Baby food - Butternut Squash


Now that my baby is 6 months old (and growing too fast), I am very excited to christen my new Baby Bullet I got for Christmas this year! With too much excitement I've purchased bananas, several types of squash, and more. Who would have thought I'd be so excited to make puree foods?! I made pumpkin puree once with my blender but it didn't puree it as much as I'd have liked. The Baby Bullet has worked 10 times better! Side note: Camden did not like the pumpkin .. at all. I am so excited for all the milestones and great times that 2012 is sure to bring us and our new, bigger family! I hope you and yours have a great New Years.

Also, I wanted to note that I saved at least $3 by pureeing the squash myself, compared to $.50 per jar. I purchased one squash at $2 (out of season) and pureed it into several servings!

Puree Butternut Squash
Adapted from: Kelly's Kitch original
Yields: 1 ice cube tray (approximately 14-16 "ice" cubes)

1 medium butternut squash
1/4 cup water, plus more for baking

Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut the top stem off of the squash. Slice squash lengthwise in half and place flesh-side down into an 8x8 baking dish. Add enough water to cover the sides of the squash about 1/4-inch up. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until flesh is easily pierced with a fork.

Allow squash to cool enough to handle and peel the skin off. Place the cooked flesh into a blender and add the 1/4 cup of water. Puree until smooth, adding more water if necessary. Freeze in an ice cube tray for long-term storage (up to 3 months) or store in the fridge for up to 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment