Thursday, September 29, 2011

Peanut Butter Cookies


In one word: YUM! Peanut butter is one of my all-time favorite foods (okay, is it really a "food"). I have always had a love for peanut butter; we go way back. I have actually already made these cookies but in the previous attempt, I forgot some key ingredients. Those cookies were a little fluffy for my taste though. These cookies spread evenly and even kept the fork pattern I pressed into them, which takes me back to my younger days. I remember baking these peanut butter cookies often. They were so much fun to make. My mom would make the batter and put them on cookie sheets so I could press the fork into them. Loved it! These cookies haven't changed since then (albeit with a different recipe) and I am always getting compliments from friends and family about how great they taste!

As a side note, because I use light corn syrup for my sweetener, I use a honey-flavored peanut butter. This is not necessary, but really made these cookies stand out from other batches.

Peanut Butter Cookies
Adapted from: Annie's Eats, originally Taste of Home
Yields: 2-3 dozen cookies, depending on size

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1.5 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
4 tbsp butter, room temperature
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup light corn syrup (or honey)
2 large eggs
sugar, for sprinkling

In medium mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk together and set aside. Cream together shortening, butter, peanut butter and syrup (or honey). Mix in eggs one at a time being sure to incorporate well before adding the second. With mixer on lowest speed, slowly add in dry mixture little by little until blended well.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Roll dough into 1-1.5 inch balls and place onto greased cookie sheets and slightly flatten with fork to make a cross-section design (see original recipe link for picture). Sprinkle with a little bit of sugar on the flattened cookies. Bake for 12-15 minutes until they are golden. Since they are peanut butter cookies they don't change color too much so don't over-cook them. Allow cookies to cool for about 5 minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring to wire racks to finish cooling completely. Serve with cold milk for best results! Store in airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment