Monday, November 22, 2010

Roast Chicken with Caramelized Shallots


Rare is it when I make chicken that isn't boneless and skinless. These bone-in and skin-on chicken breasts were amazingly good. Usually the only chicken bone-in that I eat is at BW3's; I love their wings. Well I decided to go out of my comfort zone and I’m pretty glad that I did. Although the chicken, to me, seemed a little plain I know that I will be able to add more spices next time. I will definitely add more liquid, too, as there was no liquid left before cooking which I think made the chicken a little drier than it should have been. The recipe below reflects that change. They really go well with steamed broccoli (hidden in some cheese for my husband) and macaroni and cheese. If you aren’t looking for a hugely complicated recipe with a bunch of seasonings that you usually don’t have on hand, this is your recipe!

Roast Chicken with Caramelized Shallots
Adapted from: Annie’s Eats, originally The French Farmhouse Cookbook
Serves: 2-4

3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 shallots, peeled and minced
2-4 pieces bone-in chicken breast (or thighs)
Salt and pepper, to taste
Minced fresh parsley

Preheat the oven to 425ยบ F. In a baking dish large enough to keep the chicken pieces in one layer, combine the oil, vinegar, soy sauce, broth and shallots. Whisk to combine. Coat the chicken with the mixture in the dish and lay them in a single layer. Spoon some of the shallots on top of the chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, as desired.

Bake the chicken for 20 minutes (until the chicken begins to brown on top) and then turn them over and spoon more of the juices and shallots on top. Bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked thoroughly. The shallots should be caramelized as well. While the chicken is cooking the second 20 minutes, this is the best time to get started on side items so that they won’t get cold.

Sprinkle the chicken with parsley and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment