Monday, November 15, 2010

Chicken Curry Soup


Indian food is something I’ve never tackled, nor have I had in many years. I love it, but I think my husband is just “never in the mood” for it unfortunately. Or that is his excuse anyways. Well luckily I got a free cookbook with my latest Pampered Chef order so I chose the Soups book. I figured it’s almost winter and they might come in handier than a dessert book (although I seriously considered that one but didn’t want to totally ruin my husband’s P90X plan). So I got the cookbook and all of the soups and chilis look absolutely wonderful. Luckily here in Indiana the weather could be 70º F one day and 50 º F the next so I can plan out burgers and stews in the same week.

This soup was not exactly as spicy as I thought it would be. I don’t think it’s anything like traditional Indian food but it does have a great taste. It reminded us more of a beefed up version of chicken noodle soup more than anything. It has more spices and is more flavorful than the traditional soup. Thus, this would be a great weeknight dinner for guests or just the family. I would still stick with traditional chicken noodle soup for when you are feeling a bit under the weather though.

Indian Chicken Curry Soup
Adapted from: Soups, Stews & Chilis (Pampered Chef)
Serves: 8

1 large onion, diced
1 large Yukon gold potato, unpeeled and diced
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
dash salt and pepper
1 ¼ Tbsp vegetable oil, divided
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp ginger root, peeled and grated
1 ½ Tbsp curry powder
1 ½ tsp ground coriander
6 cups chicken stock (1.5L)
3 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp cold water
1 ½ cups carrots and corn mixture, chopped (originally called for peas and carrots)
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
3 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
¾ cup plain Greek yogurt

Combine chicken and a dash of salt and pepper in a small bowl and toss to coat evenly. Set aside. Heat ½ Tbsp of the vegetable oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat 1-3 minutes, or until shimmering. Add the chicken and cook evenly for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown, stirring occasionally. The chicken will not be done yet, but remove it from the pot and set aside on a plate.

Add the remaining oil to the pot and add the onion, cooking until it is browned, about 2-3 minutes. Add a pinch more of black pepper and the minced garlic, ginger, curry, and coriander. Cook and stir 1 minute until fragrant. Whisk in stock. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water. Whisk to combine and add to the pot. Add in the chicken and potato to the pot and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cook an additional 8-10 minutes or until the potato pieces are tender.

Stir in the carrots/corn mixture, cilantro (if using), mint and a pinch of salt. Remove pot from heat. Place yogurt into a medium sized mixing bowl and carefully ladle 2 cups of the pot mixture into the bowl with the yogurt. Whisk together the mixture in the mixing bowl and slowly return back to the pot. Whisk until completely incorporated. Garnish with cilantro and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment