Friday, May 7, 2010

Chipotle Bean Burritos


Wow, it's really been a while since I have posted anything. I truly apologize and hopfeully my next few posts will begin to make all nine of my readers drool as they are some of my favorite, most recent dishes. I started this blog in the beginning of winter so all you know of is the winter Kelly. Well let me introduce summer Kelly. Summer Kelly loves to be outdoors, continuously perfect the lawn and garden (especially now with a complete redo of our new home) and be near water. I had no idea just how little I went outside in the winter until now. I had tons of free time to blog, cook and be indoors even with our mile-long to-do list. I think this will be the ultimate challenge for me. My goal is to go through an entire year of blogging without huge gaps. I think if I can do that, then I will have much more confidence when I go back to school next summer and have to juggle even more things on my plate.

Almost forgot to tell you about this dish! Well if you know me, Mexican is a household favorite and any variation is welcome in my kitchen. These were a wonderfully different version of normally greasy and unhealthy burritos. I like lighter foods in the summer and definitely get more than my share of fruits and veggies because they are so plentiful! This is a must-try weeknight dinner.

Chipotle Bean Burritos
Adapted from: Pink Parsley Catering, orignially Cooks Illustrated

2 tsp canola oil
2 cloves minced garlic
1.5 tsp chili powder
1.5 tsp adobo sauce
1 tsp ground cumin
dash salt
1/3 cup chicken broth (or water)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (15 oz)
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (15 oz)
6 tbsp fresh salsa
6 10-inch tortillas heated for 10-15 seconds in the microwave (when ready to fill)
1 cup shredded cheese, mexican blend
1.5 cups chopped tomatoes
1.5 cups chopped lettuce
6 tbsp sliced green onions
6 tbsp sour cream (or you can sub Greek nonfat yogurt)

Heat oil in large skillet on medium heat and add the garlic and spices. Cook until fragrant (about 1 minute) and then add beans and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add in salsa. Mash mixture with slotted spoon.

After heating the tortillas, fill 1/3 cup of the skillet mixture down the middle of each tortilla. Top each with 2.5 tbsp cheese, 1/4 cup tomatoes, 1/4 cup lettuce, 1 tbsp green onions, and 1 tbsp sour cream. Roll tighly and serve immediately. Hint: To keep a stubborn tortilla from unfolding, simply stick a toothpick through the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment