Thursday, May 13, 2010

Tex Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole


I know that this doesn't look like much, but usually that means it makes up for it's lack of beauty by having wonderful flavor. This casserole does just that! I love chicken and cheese and my carbs. This puts all of my favorites in one dish. It was really hard for me to have just one serving (see, I am a health coach and I know what size dinner really should be). Also, I haven't ever admitted it before, but I am completely obsessed with tomatoes. I could eat them on anything .. trust me. I think they bring a ton of wonderful flavor to any dish, especially something so cheesy and carb-loaded. Come to think of it, this would be a great dinner before a workout (about an hour is ideal).

Tex Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole

1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup long-grain white rice
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp paprika
1 can chicken broth (14 oz)
2 cups water
2 cups chopped, cooked chicken
1 cup chopped, seeded tomato (2 medium)
3 tbsp canned diced green chile peppers, drained
1 tsp dried basil
1.5 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground cumin
black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 oz)

For the cooked chicken cubes, I chop the uncooked chicken into cubes and boil with 80% water and 20% chicken broth. Once boiling, I cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes until chicken is cooked through.

In a saucepan cook onion in hot oil over medium heat until tender. Stir in rice, oregano and paprika. Cook, stirring often for 2 minutes. Stir in broth and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 15-20 minutes. The liquid will not all be absorbed, which is fine.

Transfer the rice mixture to a large bowl. Stir in the chicken, tomato, chile peppers, chili powder, basil, cumin and pepper. Transfer to a greased 2-quart casserole dish. Bake, covered, for 20-25 minutes at 425 degrees. Uncover and sprinkle cheese on top and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment