Sunday, November 15, 2009

Pigs In A Blanket


Who doesn't like finger food!? Surely not anyone in this house. One night I decided to make a childhood favorite and I found an easy recipe on Home Is Where the Holman's Are blog . They looked wonderful and who can really resist a lil smokey wrapped in delicious carbohydrates.

Of course even with the simplest of recipes I have to complicate things. The recipe calls for a puff pastry and with my very little knowledge of cooking and even food itself, I didn't know what that was. Well, I was told it was in the freezer section so when I got there and couldn't find anything I just bought a package of Crescent rolls. Yup. Just plain ol' dinner rolls. They worked great and tasted fantastic. I was looking around that section asking myself what I thought would go well with a lil smokey and cheese. I bought two but only needed one so now we get dinner rolls with dinner tomorrow night. What a luxury.

Another thing that I changed in my recipe is to NOT use parchment paper because they stuck to it and it was almost impossible to get them off without a lovely paper attachment. Next time I will just spray the pan.

Pigs In A Blanket 

1 pkg Crescent Rolls
1 pkg Lil' Smokeys
1 block sharp cheddar cheese
1 egg
1 tbsp water
1/2 tsp garlic powder
flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut cheese into small, thin slices. Cut a small slit in the smokeys and insert the cheese. Roll out the crescent rolls onto well-floured surface and cut into small triangles. Roll each smokey inside each crescent roll and place onto greased cookie sheet.

Beat egg and mix in garlic powder and water in small bowl. Brush on the top of each pig-in-a-blanket. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment