Tuesday, November 3, 2009

French Onion Soup


Do you ever go to a restaurant and think, "Man. Nobody could ever top this!" That's what I used to think about Applebee's french onion soup. Until now.

The recipe I found was in my Easy Crockpot Recipes cookbook from Borders and was easy enough. I adapted it a bit as well. I made it a little skeptical of how few ingredients it had in it thinking that something so simple couldn't be so tasty. Oh how I was wrong! This is the easiest, most low-maintenance recipe with the best results I have ever blogged! Cooks across the nation, prepare to get to know your crock pot intimately.

I served this with a side spring mix salad which is my all-time favorite salad because it has wonderful texture and taste. Soup and salad is the ultimate late-night dinner meal on a wintery night. This goes on my must make again list. My husband also agrees.

French Onion Soup

5 small sweet onions, diced
1-2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp worchestire sauce
2 cans beef broth
1 cup water
swiss cheese slices
french bread loaf, sliced about 1 inch thick

In a large skillet on low heat, warm the onions in hot butter for 20 minutes (DO NOT BROWN). Transfer onions to crock pot. Add in water, broth, sauce and mix well. Cook on high 6 hours.

When crock pot is finished, scoop out and discard 2/3 of the onion pieces and leave the rest in the broth. Scoop into serving dishes.

For the bread, if your dishes are broiler safe (most general household dishes are not) then you can place the bread right on top of the soup and cheese on top of that and broil in the oven for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.

If your dishes are not broiler safe, then you can use a cookie sheet and place the bread on it with cheese on top. Then broil for 2-3 minutes on top shelf of oven. When finished, simply place on top of soup bowls and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment