Monday, January 24, 2011

Mango Ice Cream


I love mangoes. I really love any kind of fruit (with the exception of most melons). If I could live off of fruit every day, I probably would. Mangoes are one of my absolute favorites, behind kiwi and strawberries. I saw some frozen mango pieces at my grocery store and thought it might be fun to experiment with them in smoothies or ice creams. Maybe it’s just me, but I’m so ready for summer to be here. Hopefully it will come sooner rather than later! I’m definitely ready to drive with my windows down. So here is to summer and all the good ice creams that come along with it! Enjoy.

Mango Ice Cream
Adapted from: Cuisinart
Yields: 1 quart

1 ½ cup frozen mango pieces, thawed (or fresh)
¾ cup whole or 2% milk
2/3 cup granulated sugar
Pinch salt
1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract

In a small food processor, puree the chopped and thawed mango. Reserve in bowl. Meanwhile, using a hand mixer, combine the milk, sugar and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Once sugar is fully incorporated, add whipping cream and vanilla. Finally add the reserved mango and mix well. You may cover in the fridge for 1 hour or go ahead and make in your ice cream maker per manufacturer’s instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment