Friday, October 1, 2010

Southwest-Style Turkey Burgers


Burgers. If there is any excuse to have burgers, I can think of it. I am a huge fan of burgers. They really are the main reason I could never be a vegetarian. Otherwise, I could totally skip chicken, pork, etc. Although it may be deceiving on here, I could (and sometimes do) eat fruits and vegetables all day long. Well, burgers are my one outlet; the one thing I know I can order when eating out that I won't be disappointed with. That, and pasta of course. Well, these burgers are different. It's the first time I think I've actually had success with making burgers that weren't from ground beef or chuck. I used ground turkey and my husband actually liked them. Okay, this bears repeating: my husband actually liked them. It's so surprising because he is picky about his meat and I really want both of us to try to start, and continue to eat better. This is a definite step in the right direction. Plus, these weren't grilled, they were broiled in the oven! Hello winter burger!

Southewest-Style Turkey Burgers
Serves: 3-4

1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 cup onion, chopped
3 Tbsp red (or green) pepper, chopped
3/4 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 pound ground chicken or turkey
2 oz pepper jack cheese, sliced
4 large hamburger buns (or 8 slider buns)
1 avacado, halved, seeded, peeled and sliced (I omitted this)
4-8 lettuce leaves (I used romaine)
1/4 cup salsa (or tomato slices)

Preheat broiled to high in the oven. In a medium bowl, stir together egg, onion, pepper, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Add ground turkey and mix well with hands. The mixture will be juicy but that is okay. Shape the mixture into 3/4-inch-thick burgers (4 large or 8 sliders).

Place the patties on an unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil about 4-5 inches from the heat. Cook for 7-8 minutes, flip and cook an additional 7-8 minutes, until the burgers are done. Note: It's harder to tell with ground chicken or turkey because it's so light-colored. It may be done although it's not darkening so be sure to check the middle of them.

Add cheese slices to the burgers and broil for 1 additional minute to melt the cheese. Place on buns and top with avacado, lettuce, tomatoes and whatever else your heart (or taste) desires. This dish goes really well with chips and salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment