Friday, October 29, 2010

Whipped Pumpkin Dip


I never thought I'd like pumpkin so much. Pumpkin bars, cookies, pies, and more have usually a mediocre taste for me, especially since I'm picky and don't like pumpkin that much yet. This has changed my entire way of cooking and thinking for the fall season. I think I tried so many pumpkin recipes because I wanted to find that one recipe that just knocked my socks off and was to-die-for good. Well, my friends, that search has ended .. with this dip recipe!

I like normal fruit dip but it’s got no flavor and is usually 90% sugar. Although this recipe still isn’t the healthiest, it’s ten times better for you than the store-bought dip. As an added bonus, you will O.M.G. at the taste of it, I promise. I can’t believe I have been refusing to try pumpkin all these years. Thank you to Mrs. Holman for drumming up this recipe and making my fall/pumpkin/dip dreams come true (even if I didn't know I had them)! ;)

Whipped Pumpkin Dip
Adapted from: Homemade by Holman
Yields: about 5-6 cups

8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
¾ cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup heavy whipping cream*
3 Tbsp powdered sugar*
Apple slices, grapes and Nilla Wafers, for dipping

Place the bowl of a stand mixer in the freezer, briefly for about 5-10 minutes. In the cold bowl, beat the whipping cream on high speed with the whisk attachment until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes. Slowly add the powdered sugar 1 tablespoon at a time until mixed well.

* If you don’t have a stand mixer at home, omit these two ingredients (and steps) and just buy whipped cream in the container at the store instead.

Meanwhile, in a separate large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and brown sugar until fluffy and smooth. Add in the puree and spices and blend well. The mixture will be pretty thin at this point. Fold the whipped cream from the stand mixer (or store purchased container) into the bowl with the pumpkin mixture. Mix well to make even throughout. Serve immediately or keep in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.

This mixture goes well with apples, grapes and Nilla Wafers.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE pumpkin and since people would think I was weird if I ate it straight from the can, I am going to make this dip today! It sounds fantastic. I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Be careful, this recipe makes a lot and it's pretty addicting. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SOOOO good!! I sent quite a bit home with my sister and my neighbor and I still have a lot left. I'd be content to just eat it with a spoon, it is delish!!

    ReplyDelete