Friday, August 6, 2010

Cran-Apple Muffins


Whenever my husband is gone out late (work or baseball game) or out on one of his fishing tournaments on the weekends, I get really bored. When I get bored, I love to bake since it usually involves lots of prep time and baking and cooling, etc. Brad is my best friend and when he is gone I sometimes don't know what to do with myself.

I wanted to bake something we could eat for breakfast. See, I am not a picky breakfast eater: cereal, oatmeal, bagels, pop-tarts, anything. My husband on the other hand really has tried to give cereal a chance but he just likes a nice, warm breakfast. Well I thought that I could bake something for the week ahead and he can just nuke them for 10 seconds and be on his way to work (he likes to wake up late .. like me). He absolutely loved .. and devoured these muffins!! I have no doubt in my mind that he will be asking for these when he gets back from fishing this weekend.

Cran-Apple Muffins
Adapted from: Annie's Eats

1½ cups all-purpose flour
1½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
pinch salt
1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
½ cup + 2 tsp milk
1 egg, large
8 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled
¾ cup dried cranberries
¾ cup apple, peeled and chopped
½ cup almond slivers (or raisins)
6 Tbsp brown sugar
6 Tbsp sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare muffin cups by placing a paper liner in them and spraying lightly with cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Create a well in the middle of the dry mixture and pour in the milk, egg and butter. Mix together quickly until just incorporated. Add remaining ingredients and mix just enough that mixture is evenly distributed.

Pour ¼ cup of the mixture in each of 12 muffin cups and sprinkle with sugar on the top (optional). Bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the muffin pan for about 3-5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Keep stored in airtight container at room temperature if planning on eating throughout the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment