Saturday, April 3, 2010

Old Fashioned Baked Beans


Beans, beans, the magical fruit .. just kidding! Every time I make baked beans (almost never) I have to sing that song at least once. It just makes me giggle inside. Yeah, sometimes cooking reverts me back to my 9-year-old immature days. We all know we were once immature. Getting back to the recipe .. my husband had a friend over to go fishing this past weekend and I couldn't pass up this opportunity to try out my moms baked beans recipe. Of course she loves her onion so if this were her actual recipe it wouldn't look like beans in the picture, it would look like onions with a few beans spread throughout (you know I love ya, mom). Well I used just a pinch of onion because my husband doesn't too much care for it and a few other common household ingredients and voila! The perfect side dish for your BBQ or party this summer. I am not sure why I skipped over doing Easter recipes but I really, really, really am enjoying all this unseasonably warm weather we have been having!

Old Fashioned Baked Beans
Adapted from: Kelly's Kitch original (mamma's recipe)

1 can baked beans of preference (1lb) - I chose country style
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tbsp dijon mustard (or you can use regular mustard too)

Mix all ingredients in a 9x9 greased baking dish on 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes uncovered. Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes because beans will be HOT. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment