Friday, June 1, 2012

Graham Crackers


Graham crackers never get old in my opinion. Plain, cinnamon sugar, chocolate. They're all so good! With summer here, it's s'mores season. Yup, I said it. I know we all daydream about a sunset at home with a toasty marshmallow sandwiched between a piece of chocolate and two tasty graham crackers. (crickets) Oh, that's just me? Oh, well that's my dream at least. Anyways, I found several graham cracker recipes and the one on this website looked the best, and had the best variety of common ingredients, or so I thought. 

The day I decided to make these, I couldn't find my whole wheat flour and realized last-minute that I didn't have half of the other ingredients (honey, molasses, etc) so I improvised. When I say improvise, I use that term very loosely. I Googled the crap out of "x substitute" recipes. I decided to give this recipe a try with some odd combinations of ingredients based on the original. Guess what?! They turned out JUST like the store-bought ones, only slightly a lot less stale. Delicious! My 11-month-old also loves them to gnaw on since he's teething and he loves his crackers. These would be a great toddler snack!

Graham Crackers
(Loosely) Adapted from: Confections of a Foodie Bride
Yields: 40 crackers

2 cups plus 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour *
1/4 cup wheat bran *
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
4 Tbsp. butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. light corn syrup (or honey)
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
1 egg

Whisk the dry ingredients together and set aside.

In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the corn syrup and maple syrup just until incorporated. Add the egg and beat for another minute. 

With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients in 3 equal batches, mixing well in between. Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap at least 4 hours, or overnight. 

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 325ºF.

Divide the dough into two equal halves. Roll one half onto a lightly floured surface until very thin. The crackers will puff slightly in the oven and the thinner they are, the crunchier they become. (I'm talking 2-4 mm thick here, people.)

Cut the dough with a dough cutting tool or pizza cutter to desired shape and size. Prick a fork into the top, centers of them to prevent too much puffing.

Bake for 12 minutes, or until starting to brown. They will be very soft, but will harden when cooling so leave them to cool completely on the baking sheet. Store in an airtight container. 

* Instead of using all all-purpose flour, you may substitute and use 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour + 3/4 cup plus 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, just omit the wheat bran. 

No comments:

Post a Comment