Monday, May 9, 2011

Green Monster Smoothie


Green food, okay. Green drinks, not okay? I have heard about and seen this Green Monster Smoothie just about everywhere in the past year or two. I've been afraid to try it for one reason: it's green. And guess what gives it that bright green color? Spinach leaves! Of all things that shouldn't be in drinks!! Or should it?

I wanted to try this drink because it had so many good ingredients that I love (minus the spinach of course). I made a slight adjustment and omitted the honey, but it was perfectly sweet with all the fruit in it. It turned out absolutely amazing! I guess I just want more go-to drink recipes because it seems like I have so few. Try this recipe and adjust it however you like, adding or omitting any ingredients you think it needs. Next time I might do half pineapple and half mango. That sounds delicious! And if you were wondering, you absolutely cannot taste the spinach!!

Green Monster Smoothie
Adapted from: Annie's Eats, originally une-deux senses
Serves: 3-4

1 banana, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 cup frozen, chopped pineapple
1 pear, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups orange juice
2 1/2 cups baby spinach leaves, rinsed and dried

Combine all ingredients into a blender and puree until completely smooth. Enjoy immediately or store in fridge for up to 3 days. Mixture will need a good shaking/stirring when not enjoyed immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment