Monday, March 14, 2011

Banana pancakes


Pancakes are my absolute favorite breakfast to have on the weekends! I love them with fruit and sometimes a little syrup (okay, I drown them in syrup). When I ran out of the boxed pancake mix, I thought to myself that I could surely find a recipe that I have all the ingredients for. I went to my favorite blogger’s website and of course, she delivered! I might even try a waffle recipe whenever we replace our old waffle maker that broke.

These pancakes weren’t to-die-for, but were just as delicious and the same amount of effort as the boxed stuff you buy at the store. I love that they are fresh, homemade, and I know exactly what went into them. My husband approved! I usually cook pancakes on the stove, but my uncle got us an unregistered gift for our wedding (this one was actually something I liked); a griddle. I LOVE our griddle! It’s so easy to entertain in the morning and make breakfast all on one big plate instead of making one pancake at a time. I can make 6 pancakes or 4 pancakes and lots of bacon or sausage all at once. I love that because soggy pancakes are gross!

I also wanted to make note that I always keep browned bananas in my freezer, usually for banana bread. If you do this, instead of just throwing them away, you can simply warm them in the microwave for 30-second increments in order to soften them right up! Snip the tip of the peel off and squeeze out the mushy banana. No need to use a fresh one (that would probably make a great snack for later).

Banana Pancakes
Adapted from: Annie’s Eats, originally Williams-Sonoma
Yields: 8 pancakes

4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp sugar
2 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 small ripe banana, mashed
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
½ tsp vanilla extract
Bananas & strawberries, sliced for serving
Maple syrup, for serving

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine. In a separate bowl, combine the mashed banana, milk, eggs, and vanilla. Mix well. Add the melted butter and banana mixture to the first bowl with the dry ingredients and mix gently with a rubber spatula. Batter will be slightly lumpy.

Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat (325˚ F) and lightly grease with butter or cooking spray. Drop the batter in 1/3 cup portions onto the heated surface. Cook until bubbles start to form on the surface and then flip. The bottom should be golden-brown. Continue to cook until the other side is golden-brown. Serve immediately and top with fruit and/or syrup as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment