Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Kichen Tips: Prepping/Storage


I wanted to celebrate my 100th post (HOORAY!) by posting about some of the tips and tricks that help to keep my kitchen and household running smoothly. I think I have plenty of simple tips that I never shared with anyone before because I always thought they were so obvious. Looking back they weren't always obvious to me so I figured I would commemorate this special post by starting with my favorite kitchen secret: prepping!

One thing that I always make sure to do when coming home from the grocery store is to cut, wash and divide all of our fruits and vegetables into individual containers or Ziploc baggies. I also usually tend to do this with anything I am going to be making (i.e. chopping ingredients ahead of time) and other things like potato chips.  Measuring things is usually something I do if I have time but half a Ziploc baggie or one of the containers (shown above) is usually one serving of a fruit or vegetable. Sometimes I also cook the vegetables well ahead of time so I can just heat them up and eat! Broccoli is one of my absolute favorites but my husband will not eat it so I'm the lucky gal that gets the entire head of broccoli to myself!

Procedure:

When you get home from the grocery, put all your food away except those that need to be divvyed up. Get a large cutting board and knife to cut everything with. Start with the less potent items (like fruits) and work your way to the things like onion, which will probably leave a hint of it on the knife. Always rinse the knife in between items .. you don't want to have blueberry/strawberries (although that does sound wonderful). Once everything is in a baggie or tupperware then place in the fridge so that it's not hidden from sight. This way you remember what you have for snacks or side items with your lunches. Remember: out of sight, out of mind. Make sure it's visible!


Another tip that I have is to make your own seasonings with what you have. Part of this means saving the leftovers; let's not be wasteful when on a budget! I usually put seasonings in a Ziploc baggie or airtight container and place in the pantry for future use. As you can see above, I write on the baggie what the seasoning is and the date in which I put it together. Who knows how long it will be until you use it again so just to be safe, that is a good idea. I label what it is because .. well .. all the seasoning mixes look the same to me.

Hope these tips will be useful to you and I will have plenty more to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment